Sunday, June 22, 2008



When Euro 2008 commenced I was eager to contribute blogs on 'the beautiful game', in which I thought I would be singing the praises of the French, Dutch, Portuguese, and Croatians. Unfortunately this eagerness continued to wane after the first match between the Swiss and Czech Republic, and finally culminated in the Russian defeat of the Dutch. On Sunday night the Italians will attempt to make the semifinal matches full of teams that play anything but 'the beautiful game'. What does this indicate? Well, I guess it could conjure up some of the sentiments felt for the Cobra-Kai Spurs. Although, this time I am not supportive of stubborn, ugly play. This is supposed to be 'the beautiful game' after all.

If Euro 2008 has taught me anything, it has taught me that beautiful doesn't translate into success, not even in 'the beautiful game'. Leave it to the Abromovich funded Russians to spark my awakening. While Arshavin does play with the grace that will soon land him in one of Europe's biggest clubs, the Russian drubbing of Holland killed any change of recuperating 'the beautiful game'. Advice to those who have not watched many of the matches: Do not watch the rest of the tournament because you will be turned off of the sport forever.

And, what do we have to look forward to after this atrocious tournament? Most of our sensory organs will be bombarded and subsequently tortured by the news regarding Christiano Ronaldo's departure from Man U. It is all enough to make me start watching cricket!

Lets root for Turkey and the death of all things beautiful!




No comments: